How to improve blood circulation to hair follicles?
Have you tried everything you can to improve your hair quality but still don’t have the shiny tresses you desire? It could be because your hair is not getting enough blood circulation. One of the most underrated solutions for promoting hair growth is the improvement of blood circulation to the hair follicles. It is more necessary than you’d have thought! Keep reading to know why and how you can improve blood circulation to your scalp and hair.
Does blood circulation affect the scalp and hair?
It would help if you kept your scalp clean so that your hair goals are possible to achieve. Blood circulation ensures that your scalp derives all the vital nutrients and oxygen. Optimum blood flow helps in the anagen phase of the hair. This, in turn, makes the hair grow longer.
How to increase blood circulation in the scalp and hair?
- Get a scalp massage: Consider olive oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or castor oil for a massage. All these oils are enriched with phytoconstituents which promote healthy hair.
- Maintain a clean scalp: Scalp build-up can sometimes obstruct blood flow under the skin. It is vital to have a clean scalp for the blood to flow normally. Wash your hair once in 2 days if you have an oily scalp and 3 days if you have a dry scalp. Use a clarifying shampoo once a month to get rid of dead skin cells, dirt, excess oil, and product build-up on the scalp.
- Comb hair: The bristles of a hairbrush can stimulate the capillaries and increase blood flow to the scalp. Ensure to detangle your hair with a wide-tooth comb before you start brushing your hair. It is a popular notion that about 100 strokes per day can lead to hair growth. This is a myth. It would help if you avoided excessive and harsh brushing of hair. It causes damage to the hair cuticle and leads to hair breakage.
- Wash hair with cold water: When a cold stream of water hits your scalp, it causes the blood in the deeper tissues to circulate faster. This helps in maintaining the ideal body temperature. Haircare experts recommend rinsing your hair with cold water after you have shampooed with lukewarm water.
- Use essential oils: Essential oils such as lavender, thyme, rosemary, cedarwood, and peppermint can help blood circulation to the scalp. Also, these oils prevent certain microbial infections of the scalp. It would help if you diluted a few drops of the essential oil in a carrier oil like olive oil. Apply to your scalp and hair. Then wash after 30 minutes. Make sure you buy essential oils with natural ingredients.
- Follow proper diet: Niacin or vitamin B3 increases blood flow to the scalp and has anti-inflammatory properties. Mushrooms, brown rice, peanuts, green peas, and avocados are high sources of niacin. Besides these, vitamin A, zinc, iron, and protein are also great for your hair. Try and follow a balanced diet that helps in healthy hair growth.
- Try inversion method: The Inversion method might seem complicated at first. But it is pretty simple. You need to lie down on your bed with your upper body facing the side of your bed. Then gently drop your upper body down towards the ground till you feel a rush of blood to your head. You can also try sirsasana or headstand pose in yoga. It does not matter which technique you consider. Do not hang there for too long because if you do, you may feel dizzy later. If you are a beginner, it is strictly advised to practice only under the supervision of a yoga instructor. The Inversion method is not recommended for pregnant women.
How to diagnose hair problems?
You can take a hair evaluation test to understand the severity of your hair problem. Usually, hair loss is diagnosed based on the appearance and pattern of hair loss. It also comprises a detailed medical history, including questions about the prevalence of hair loss in your family. The hair specialists at Dr. Batra’s™ examine your scalp under magnification to evaluate the degree of miniaturization of the hair follicles. They conduct a painless video microscopy test which magnifies the hair follicles and scalp up to 200 times. This test will show the following:
- The thickness of hair strands
- Hair density, i.e., number of hair on the scalp
- Condition of hair strands
- Diagnosis of hair conditions
- Condition of the scalp
Proper blood circulation helps in transporting the required nutrients and oxygen to your scalp. All the aforementioned methods help to increase blood flow to your scalp. You should also figure out and stick to a healthy hair care routine. This consists of basics like washing, conditioning, and protecting your hair from heat. You can visit the nearest homeopathy clinic for all your hair problems. A homeopathic doctor will assess your case history and come up with a tailored treatment plan.